Monday, September 21, 2015

Falling in love, really???




   It is quite interesting that we use the phrase, “falling in love” as if “love” was a hole in the ground or some open void out in the prairie that we happen to stumble into. No wonder we ask why do you love me? To which some might reply, “Oh, you’re beautiful or handsome”, “you’re nice” or maybe “you and me are compatible” (that’s a whole another subject in itself). If this is true then what did Jesus trip over in order to fall in love with me; my sins? But who would trip over lying, cheating, lustfulness, greed, etcetera and stay in that hole after tripping in it? I know I would be screaming, “Get me out of here, I’ve happen to have fallen in love”.

    However, Biblical love is not deemed some happenstance or involuntary emotion that you have no control over but rather something intentional. “For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son that whosoever believeth in Him should not parish”.[1] Gave is the key word there, in order to give something you have to intentional make a decision to give it away. If you go with the proposition that you fall in love, then it is more of an accident or something that was taken away from you. Thus giving credence to the idea that, “you stole my heart”. “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.”[2] If love is all of those things, then love is a choice that we make. If God is love[3], and his actions toward us is the epitome of the example of love then we know that it is a choice to love. 

    So love is represented in our actions versus our euphoric feelings. So then we don’t fall in love rather we choose to love someone. So the true question is why have you chosen to be patient with me, or kind to me? Why do you suffer with me, or don’t get angry with me easily? To which your reply can be, “because you look good”. I’m just joking, but you can get the example of what I’m trying to say. So now when I think of why Jesus loves me, I think of this sobering idea. The idea is that Jesus didn’t ‘fall’ in love with me. Rather he chose to love me. He loved me by seeing my situation and deciding to get in the hole with me to show me the way out, instead of simply telling me how much he loved me.  




[1] John 3:16 (Holy Bible)
[2] 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 (Holy Bible)
[3] 1 John 4:16 (Holy Bible)

No comments:

Post a Comment